General Manager of Shangri-La Hambantota
Growing up Iain has always had a keen interest for cooking and together with his creative talents his dreams soon became reality when entering the wonderful Hospitality Industry.
His journey began in the Kitchens at the World Acclaimed Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland, which led him over the years towards achieving many personal goals, such as to Represent Great Britain in several culinary competitions and receiving many Gold medals, Awards & Accolades.
Iain’s culinary recognition gained him the prestigious position as Executive Chef for His Royal Highness King Hussein of Jordon, where he managed and led the food and Beverage Operations for the Royal Palaces of Amman & Aqaba; this is where he transitioned from the Kitchen’s into Management.
After almost 15 Years Island hopping through the Caribbean, Iain rose through the ranks to General Manager operating some of the top luxury properties in the Caribbean before landed in the Maldives to Manage the World Famous Soneva Gili Resort (now called Gili Lankanfushi) during his 3+ years on this Island Jewel, Iain led the team to countless awards and successes, including being voted World Number 1 Resort in the World on Trip Advisor and at The World Travel Awards.
Maradiva in Mauritius a Leading Hotels of the World was the next Luxury property Iain managed and quickly got to work formulating an intense refurbishment program, maintaining its luxury status.
In 2014 Iain arrived to Vietnam at the InterContinental Danang, the flagship Resort for IHG, he immediately fell in love with Vietnam and spent 18 months at this spectacular Resort achieving impressive results and awards such as twice being awarded “World’s Leading Luxury Resort” before being encouraged to assist the Owner of the Naman Retreat to set up the Operations, structure and strategies. Iain has demonstrated his passion and love for this industry by accelerating Naman Retreat’s positioning and reputation for excellence in such a short space of time as well as supporting the Owner with their development Master plans for their extensive projects of The Empire Group.
- Having the privilege of working closely with so many wonderful people from all Cultures, religions and backgrounds from around the Globe and more so watching them develop their talents.
- As a Chef achieving many awards, medals and accolades, one being presented by HRH Princess Ann and working closely with the Royal Family in Jordan the late King Hussein and Queen Noor
- Steering Gili Lankanfushi towards being The Number 1 Resort in the World on Trip Advisor.
- Being Awarded “World’s Leading Luxury Resort” 3 times; once at Gili Lankanfushi and twice whilst at InterContinental Danang
- Within 12 months after joining InterContinental Danang, we achieved the highest ratings within IHG and 10/10 on the Winning Matrix
- During the time with InterContinental Danang, I was asked to set the standards for the InterContinental Club, uplifting the Brand standards, elevating the service and product delivery and rolling this out to the General Managers within the group.
- Hosted the Today TV Show for 1 week at Cap Juluca for the Wedding of the Year
- Have the honour to have met; looked after and maintained contact with many of the World’s Royalty, leading Politician, celebrities and Sports personalities.
- Putting together a robust 5 Year strategic Plan for InterContinental Danang and presenting to the Owning Company Chairman, IHG CEO, COO, VP Ops and VP Development, steering a clear path ahead and this model format rolled out for all GM’s to follow.
- How his employees describe him: Leads by example and expects the best; always composed no matter what the situation and has great sense of humour, is a very good listener and is open-minded.
- Competitive, always wants to be the best at whatever he sets out to do
- Expect the Unexpected” Be prepared as every day deals new exciting challenges
- Key Strengths, Respectful, integrity leadership, strategic approach, thinks out of the box “differentiate”, creative, technical, key eye for details, understand Luxury, inspires the team to excel in whatever they do, motivates recognition.
- Key weakness; I expect other to be as conscientious as myself, I have always made personal sacrifices putting my Job before anything else, I would love to have been able to have spent more time with my family, friends and loved ones.
- Thrives on challenging situations, locations and targets. Feels at ease operating under extreme conditions and continues to learn and making the right decisions for the benefit of the customer, employee, company and owner.
- Maintains a transparent professional persona with clear communications skills ensuring a serious focus towards delivering consistency and excellence.
- Ambitions: Iain’s extensive knowledge, experiences, tactical talents, communication skills and strategic planning has equipped him for a larger group / area role to oversee, support and manage a team of professionals.
- The fuel to sustain a successful career in Hospitality is Passion & attitude without it you are always driving in 2nd gear!
- When not in the office or running around the Property; Iain always stays active! Loves to play tennis, enjoys cycling and running and a passion for Scuba Diving for which he is advance PADI and when the opportunity arises for a break there is nothing more invigorating than a week skiing.
- Enjoys the great outdoors and greatly appreciates the wonders Mother Nature has to offer
- Secret for my success: Without the support, understanding and inspiration from my family this journey would never have reached so far.
Doing my very best to achieve the desired results for our stakeholders whilst ensuring exceptional and honest guest service delivery, taking care of the asset and focusing on our teams’ welfare by consistently inspiring towards consistency and integrity.